Buscopan 10mg coated tablets are an antispasmodic and works in the abdomen directly targeting and relieving the cause of abdominal pain
Many analgesics (painkillers) act by blocking pain signals, thereby relieving the pain without tackling the cause
Therefore analgesics work in a more general way on the whole body and are absorbed into the bloodstream
Buscopan 10mg coated tablets relax the muscle spasm acting directly in the abdomen where the pain and cramps occur
Buscopan 10mg coated tablets are gentle on the stomach and can be taken at the first sign of abdominal pain and discomfort
Relieve the cramp, relieve the pain
Buscopan 10mg coated tablets have an antispasmodic action that specifically targets the source of abdominal cramping or the pain and discomfort associated with IBS. They start to work within 15 minutes, acting directly on the muscle spasm in the bowel to quickly and effectively relieve painful cramps and discomfort. Buscopan 10mg coated tablets can be used at the first sign of a flare-up as needed as very little is absorbed into the bloodstream. It is also unlikely to cause any side effects such as drowsiness.
This medicine is used to relieve abdominal cramps which cause pain and discomfort associated with your digestive tract, and in Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). It works by relaxing the cramping muscles of your stomach and bowel.
Abdominal cramps (or spasms) are due to the sudden, irregular tightening up of muscles in the wall of your stomach or bowel.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS is a group of symptoms that can include abdominal pain, cramps, spasms, bloating, and a change in bowel habit (diarrhoea or constipation). These symptoms may come and go over a period of time and you may not have all these symptoms. You can use Buscopan 10mg Coated Tablets to help relieve the pain of the cramping spasm but it is important to see a doctor to then have a diagnosis of IBS confirmed.
Directions for use:
For adults and children aged 12 years and over:
For abdominal cramps:
It is recommended to take two tablets initially up to 4 times a day.
For Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
It is recommended to start by taking one tablet 3 times a day. If you find that more relief is needed then this can be increased to a maximum dose of two tablets 4 times a day. The dosage can be adjusted depending on whether you're having a mild or severe flare up. This helps you take control of your IBS symptoms.
Do not take Buscopan 10mg Coated Tablets if:
- You are allergic to hyoscine butylbromide or any of the other ingredients of Buscopan 10mg Coated Tablets (listed in Section 6)
- You are intolerant to or cannot digest some sugars (as the tablet coating contains a small amount of sucrose)
- You have glaucoma (an eye problem)
- You have something called ‘myasthenia gravis’ (a very rare muscle weakness problem) You have a suspected or confirmed blockage of the bowel
- You have a condition where the bowel is blocked and does not work properly (paralytic or obstructive ileus). Symptoms include severe abdominal pain with lack of stools and/or nausea/vomiting
- You have a very enlarged bowel (megacolon)
- You are pregnant, likely to get pregnant, or are breast-feeding
Talk to your pharmacist or doctor straight away if you have unexplained abdominal pain which persists or worsens or occurs with:
- feeling sick or being sick
- changes in your bowel movements
- blood in your stools
- abdominal tenderness
- feeling faint due to low blood pressure
Talk to your pharmacist or doctor before taking Buscopan 10mg Coated Tablets if any of the following applies to you. This is in case your abdominal pain is something else:
If this is the first time you have had symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
You are 40 years or over and it is some time since your last attack of abdominal cramps or IBS or the symptoms are different this time
- You have recently passed blood in your stools
- You have severe constipation
- You are feeling sick or being sick
- You have lost your appetite or lost weight
- You have difficulty or pain passing water (urine)
- You have a fever
- You have recently travelled abroad (in case you have picked up a stomach bug)
- You have a very fast heart rate or other heart problems
- You have been treated by a doctor for a severe sweating problem
- You have abnormal vaginal bleeding or discharge
What Buscopan 10mg Coated Tablets contains • The active substance is hyoscine butylbromide • Each tablet contains 10mg of hyoscine butylbromide • The other ingredients are calcium hydrogen phosphate anhydrous, maize starch, starch soluble, silica colloidal anydrous, tartaric acid, stearic/palmitic acid, sucrose, talc, acacia, titanium dioxide (E171), macrogol 6000, carnauba wax, beeswax white and povidone.
Keep all medicines out the sight and reach of children.
Always consult the Patient Information Leaflet before using this medicine.