WHAT DOUBLEBASE EMOLLIENT GEL IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
• Doublebase Emollient Gel is a highly moisturising and protective emollient presented in a cosmetically acceptable gel for application to your skin.
• It helps treat dry or chapped skin conditions that may also be itchy, red and sore.
Common examples include:
- Psoriasis (scaly, pink patches of skin), elderly pruritus (itchy skin due to ageing), ichthyosis (abnormal scaly skin), various forms of eczema, dermatitis and other dry skin disorders.
- All age groups can use Doublebase Emollient Gel, including babies.
- The therapeutic ingredients in this product are isopropyl myristate and liquid paraffin.
- These are known as emollients. The product helps to: soften, moisturise and protect your skin by trapping moisture in the skin and restoring the normal protective function of the skin;
- prevent the skin-drying and irritant effects that can be caused by washing and bathing and by the soaps, foaming additives and fragrances used in ordinary cleansing products.
- This product can be used in addition to any other emollients or treatments your pharmacist or doctor may have given or prescribed for you to treat your dry skin condition.
BEFORE YOU USE DOUBLEBASE EMOLLIENT GEL
Do not use Doublebase Emollient Gel if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to isopropyl myristate, liquid paraffin or any of the other ingredients listed
This product can be used during pregnancy and while breast-feeding. The ingredients have been in widespread use in this and similar preparations for many years, without reports of problems.
HOW TO USE DOUBLEBASE EMOLLIENT GEL
This product is only for application to the skin.
• Before using the 250 g pack, turn the top of the pump dispenser in the direction of the open arrow to unlock it. After unlocking, you will need to press down the pump dispenser several times to prime the pump before any gel is dispensed.
For maximum benefit you should:
• Apply Doublebase Emollient Gel to the affected areas of the skin on a regular basis and as often as required.
• Use a few gentle strokes to smooth the gel across the skin in the same direction as hair growth (like stroking a cat or dog). If necessary, allow time for any excess to soak in. Do not rub the skin vigorously.
• This product can also be used before and after washing, showering or having a bath to help condition the skin and stop it from drying further.
• If you are applying another treatment to the same areas of skin as Doublebase Emollient Gel, try to avoid mixing the two products. This can be achieved by applying the treatments alternately, leaving sufficient time to allow the previous application to soak in.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Doublebase Emollient Gel has been specially designed for use on dry or problem skin.
However, in rare cases it can cause skin irritation (mild rashes) or allergic skin reactions on extremely sensitive skin. These rare effects tend to occur during or soon after the first few uses.
Stop using this gel and tell your pharmacist, nurse or doctor:
• if your skin condition seems to look or feel worse;
• if any of the side effects get serious, or you notice any other side effects not mentioned in this leaflet.